After nine days in the hospital in Denver at Swedish Medical Center, my Mom, Leslie Lehrman, has finally been released.
Following a trip to the Swedish ER on Saturday, doctors found and removed a blood clot in my Mom’s chest that was located inside a stent. The blockage was causing all the swelling in her arms, neck and face. She still had a blood clot in her neck, so she was put on a Heparin drip and taking Coumadin to try to get rid of the dang clot.
Yesterday, doctors at Swedish said her blood levels reached their “therapeutic” point and the Coumadin was doing its job, so she will soon make the long trek home to Phoenix. We weren’t sure she was ready to leave the hospital (physically), but, after a good night’s sleep, reduced swelling and a slight increase in energy (due to blood transfusion, most likely), we made a collective decision it was OK to leave. If she didn’t feel ready, she wasn’t going anywhere!
But now another long and risky journey begins. My Mom and Bob (her husband) have to drive back to Phoenix. No flying with these blood clot issues, that’s for sure. With the help of Bob’s daughters and other family members, they will set out for Albuquerque, spend the night, then hit the second stretch to Phoenix. There will be many hour 1/2 stops for Mom to get up and walk around. We do not want anymore blood clots to form.
In a nutshell, the road home sounds like pure hell to me and I’m nervous about it. I know my Mom is dreading it, but she also wants to get home.
I so wish once she gets home she could just relax and recuperate. Far from it. She needs to meet with her cardiovascular team, radiation oncologist and others to immediately start chemo again – and possibly radiation – again. What a welcome home gift. I’m trying to be positive, but it’s hard. This cycle of suffering is just spinning too fast…and more often.
Double Damn It. Some major sock monkey mojo needed!